By Joel S. Kahn
Read or Download Asia, Modernity, and the Pursuit of the Sacred: Gnostics, Scholars, Mystics, and Reformers PDF
Best asian history books
Via a cultural research of the symbols of dying - flesh, blood, bones, souls, time numbers, meals and funds - chinese language demise Rituals in Singapore throws gentle upon the chinese language conception of loss of life and the way they do something about its eventuality. within the seeming mass of non secular rituals and ideology, it means that there's an underlying common sense to the rituals.
This booklet offers a concise creation to modern China. it's meant as a primary ebook for these coming new to the topic, delivering the basic details that almost all humans want to know, with no going into over the top element. Its assurance comprises the financial system, society, politics and diplomacy; China's heritage, in particular the 20th century; and Taiwan and Hong Kong in addition to the People's Republic of China.
Marigold provides the 1st carefully documented, in-depth tale of 1 of the Vietnam War's final nice mysteries: the key peace initiative, codenamed "Marigold," that sought to finish the struggle in 1966. The initiative failed, the conflict dragged on for one more seven years, and this episode sank into heritage as an unresolved controversy.
James McHugh bargains the 1st entire exam of the strategies and practices relating to odor in pre-modern India. Drawing on a variety of textual resources, from poetry to scientific texts, he exhibits the numerous non secular and cultural position of odor in India in the course of the first millennium CE.
- Chinese Industrial Espionage: Technology Acquisition and Military Modernisation (Asian Security Studies)
- Remembering the Forgotten War: The Korean War Through Literature and Art (Maureen and Mike Mansfield Center Books (Hardcover))
- The 1728 Musin Rebellion: Politics and Plotting in Eighteenth-Century Korea
- Tai Chi - Eine traditionelle chinesische Bewegungskunst in Europa? (German Edition)
- The Fall of Malaya and Singapore: Rare Photographs from Wartime Archives (Images of War)
- May You Live in Interesting Times Vol. 2: China taking leave of the stereotypical Ah Q for good
Extra resources for Asia, Modernity, and the Pursuit of the Sacred: Gnostics, Scholars, Mystics, and Reformers
Asia, Modernity, and the Pursuit of the Sacred: Gnostics, Scholars, Mystics, and Reformers by Joel S. Kahn